Talk Liverpool

Talk Liverpool  provides psychological treatments, sometimes called talking treatments, to help people who have common mental health problems such as feeling stressed, feeling low in mood (depressed) or very nervous (anxiety).

This free and confidential service is an Improving Access to Psychological Therapies ( IAPT) service available to adults aged 18 or over who are registered with a Liverpool GP.

We offer psychological help and support and help with a range of difficulties including:

  • Low mood
  • Panic attacks
  • Bad memories after traumatic events
  • Phobias
  • Sleep problems
  • Lack of confidence in social situations
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Health anxiety
  • Stress
  • Worry
  • Repeated washing or checking worry

Everyone has different needs. We will work with you to plan an approach that’s right for you. Guided self-help allows you to try out ways of improving your mood, building confidence and reducing stress.

What does the therapy involve?

  • You will have regular meetings with a psychological wellbeing practitioner who will help you  set step by step goals to improve your wellbeing and mood. This often involves working through self-help booklets together but we also offer help on line and through workshops and courses
  • Psychological therapy involves working more intensively with a therapist: these sessions are usually longer and more frequent, maybe weekly
  • We offer a range of therapies including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, which looks at how thoughts, feelings and behaviour affect your current difficulties, and counselling, which helps you to explore and understand the feelings underlying depression and to find new approaches to them.
    Whatever help you receive your therapist will help you to develop effective, practical skills to help with your problems.

How do I get help?

You can self refer to Talk Liverpool directly by:

  • Completing  the self-referral form online on the Talk Liverpool website
  • Telephoning us on 0151 228 2300

You can also be referred to the service by any of the following:

Your GP
Any health or social care professional
Any voluntary or third sector organisation
Job Centre Plus.